When people read your blog posts, does your personality shine? Photos and videos are great to use to communicate your personality, which you can and should definitely incorporate into your blog. However, learning how to craft the written word while staying true to yourself is a little bit tougher – but an absolute necessity.
Why? Most search engines will give articles 300+ words higher status when ranking them, so it’s not enough to load your blog articles with photos and videos. If you have ever dreamed of turning your blog into a book, practicing your writing is a habit that could help turn your dream into reality. Writing is still a great way to connect and engage with your audience, if you can craft your words in such a way that are unique to you.
A few tips to help you craft your writing:
- Imagine yourself speaking directly to a friend.
- Use the microphone feature along with a voice-to-text app (notes works for me) on your smartphone to record what you would say to him/her.
- Are there any catch phrases you often use when speaking? Use them when you blog. Favorite bits of trivia, references to pop culture? Use them too.
- Make use of italics, bold, and punctuation to emphasize the words and phrases you would when speaking to interject emotion.
- Be a storyteller. Make use of your own experience when blogging and use them to connect and engage with your audience.